Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday Morning Coffee Shop


I will admit that I really enjoying going to a coffee shop ( hoping that there is barely anyone there) and sitting down and being grateful for the atmosphere. Currently, I am sitting in a comfortable chair, surround by soft conversations and relevant music to my life (alter -rock, americana style, I like it). It is a good feeling to have when you come into a shop, grab your cup of Joe and find your little spot in the bleak walls. I find that at first, i have to get a little bit comfortable but then that spot turns into a your home for a mere 1 or 2 hours. I also get thrilled when I am browsing the internet or pretending to read a book when I hear a favorite artist on the coffee shop loud speakers. "Ah, its Glen Phillips and just before him they played a Counting Crows song that was never a radio single". Its so refreshing to hear music that way. I think that is why radio is not dead yet and why mixed tapes (cd's whatever you want to call them) are so wonderful.
There are two moments in listening to music that I just adore. 1) The first time you hear a song. The moment you hear them sing into the bridge or chorus and it just stops you in your tracks. It is amazing, how many times that has happened to me. Sometimes it is just hits me the moment I am in ( later I go look up the song and it just doesn't fit anymore) and everything seems perfect for that song. Lately, I haven't really had any moments like that. Sad follows it.
2) It is the moments in the grocery store or coffeeshops or at a friends house. You hear a song that you haven't heard in forever or just wasn't expecting it. That amazing part about this phenomenon is that the song always sounds refreshing to me when you hear it out of context. I listen to cd's (yes I still buy them. Mainly because when the big crash occurs, with all computers, I will have a back up of all my tunes to help me get through the day when computers take over) multiple times and I get so used to the order of the album that it starts to get stale to me. So when you put together a mix and you change up the position and surround that song around other great songs. It just feels right. Or when your not expecting it, it just makes the song so much sweeter.
These are my thoughts while sitting in a coffee shop this morning. I taking in a nice Tom Waits song ( it took be a little to get passed the scratchy and bit off tune tones of his voice) and enjoying my 16oz cup of coffee with vanilla in it, two sugars and cream.
Above is a picture of me at a coffee shop...


p.s. I wonder this: I know when I go to church and I notice that someone is waiting the same thing I am. I feel strange. Like if we are wearing the same green shirt and etc. So I just witnessed two girls meeting each other for the first time 1) a coffee maker and 2) coffee taker. Strange thing is, that they have the same exact hair cut. Is it weird for them to see each other? Is it the same feeling as when I see the same person wear the same green shirt? I think for guys, it is easy beacuse we have at least three different cuts. Short, semi short or long hair. Oh us people in the blue world, how we want to be the only one...

2 comments:

Juli said...

First, I'm with you on the music, completely and absolutely. Second, I find that a nice ice breaker of 'nice shirt' will help ease the awkwardness of wearing the same thing...

Claire said...

does that work for "nice haircut?"